Dane County Sheriff’s Office Writ of Restitution (Eviction) Procedure
The information contained in this site is for general guidance only and is in no way intended to be legal advice. As such, it should not be used as a
substitute for consultation with an attorney or other advisor as necessary.
Pursuant to Sec. 799.45, Wis. Stats., a plaintiff in an eviction action may remove a tenant and dispose of a tenant’s property using the procedure outlined
1) Obtain a valid Writ of Restitution from Dane County Circuit Court. At the time of the eviction judgment the court shall order that a Writ of Restitution
2) A Writ of Restitution is only valid for a limited time.
3) Decide which type of eviction you want to do before delivering the Writ to the Sheriff. You must either be self-bonded or a bonded mover must be used.
4) Forced evictions are done Monday thru Friday and usually start at 8:00 a.m. and are done on a first-come, first-serve basis, so plan ahead. Deputies
will provide the landlord with an eviction date upon request. It is the landlord’s responsibility to hire the mover and pay for the mover. The Sheriff’s Office is not affiliated with any mover and we cannot make recommendations for any particular mover.
5) BONDED MOVERS: Deliver Writ to the Sheriff’s Office. The Plaintiff is responsible for all expenses associated with using bonded movers.
The following Bonded Movers have met the criteria set forth by the Dane County Sheriff's Office:
*JC PROPERTY MANAGEMENT, LLC
(608) 219-8074 www.jcpropertymgt.com
*CAPITAL CITY TRANSFER, INC.
(608) 845-6090 www.capitalcitytransfer.com.
*E.C. MOVING AND STORAGE
(608) 849-4290 www.ecmoving.com.
*G5 MOVING & PROPERTY SERVICE
(608) 843-5300 www.g5move.com
SELF BONDED EVICTION
a. Obtain a valid Writ of Restitution
b. Obtain a bond of indemnity containing all pertinent names (spelled correctly), court case number and complete address. All bonds MUST indemnify Sheriff
David Mahoney, his designees and Dane County.
c. A $5,000.00 bond for apartment and $10,000.00 bond for houses/businesses is required.
7) Make a copy of the Bond and Power of Attorney (if applicable).
8) File the original Bond/Power of Attorney with the Dane County Clerk of Courts and have the copy of the bond time-stamped for filing.
9) Drop off the original Writ of Restitution and a time-stamped copy of the Bond/Power of Attorney at the Dane County Sheriff's Office Civil Process window
and tell them you are going to be a self-bonded landlord.
10) Deputies will notify you after they post the order to vacate and are available to answer all questions. They can be reached at the following numbers:
a. West (608) 284-6819
b. East (608) 284-6818
11) The fees for executing a Writ of Restitution are located in FAQ section.
Thank You for Visiting the DCSO Website
If you have questions or concerns about our website please contact our webmaster.