Any mail, letters, or correspondence must be sent to the inmate via the U.S. Mail. We do not allow any mail to be dropped off for an inmate. No boxes are allowed. No packages larger than 10” x 13” are allowed. No hard-covered books allowed.
Inmates may have only the following items mailed in:
- Soft Covered Books (2 maximum)
- Photographs (Non-polaroid only and cannot contain nudity or gang signs)
- Legal paperwork
- Cards/letters (no musical cards)
- Envelopes must not be more than 2 inches in thickness.
- Items sold through the inmate commissary will not be accepted through the mail unless approved by jail staff in advance.
- Mail sent in large bubble wrap envelopes, or paper insulated envelopes will be recycled. The contents will be placed in a Sheriff’s Office approved envelope.
- Mail and/or envelopes containing perfumed contents will be returned to sender.
- No magazines are allowed to be mailed in.
- Mail and/or envelopes containing lipstick kisses will be returned to sender.
- No stickers or glued-on items will be allowed. These items will be placed in the inmate’s property bag.
- Those sending mail to inmates must hand-write their return name and address. No return labels or other affixed items will be allowed. No stickers.
- Books are limited to 2 paperback/soft covered books per week.
- Musical greeting cards, or greeting cards with string, ribbon or artwork affixed will not be allowed. Greeting cards must be a regular, flat paper greeting card.
- Photos cannot be glued or affixed in any way to anything else.
Address mail to the inmate at:
Inmate name and booking number
Dane County Jail
115 West Doty Street
Madison, WI 53703
If you know the inmate’s location or booking number please include that after the inmate’s name.
For inmates at the William H. Ferris Center direct their mail to:
2120 Rimrock Road
Madison, WI 53713