Preparedness for Active Shooter and Violence within the Community
On-going, nationwide critical events serve as a reminder for all citizens to be aware of their environment.
With these events in mind, the Dane County Sheriff’s Office continues to take a proactive approach to active shooter/workplace violence. As of Spring 2018 over 9,000 people have participated in this Active Shooter Preparedness presentation. If you would like to bring this important opportunity to your workplace or organization, please fill out the on-line request form today!
It can happen here
- The average Active Shooter event lasts 4 - 8 minutes.
- Over 70% of Active Shooter incidents are over in 5 minutes or less.
- National average for Law Enforcement response is 5 – 6 minutes.
- Learning about these incidents and how to prepare can help save your life and the lives of others
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Positioning in the room
- Have an exit plan
- Keep distance between you and the sourse
- Create Barriers
- Defend yourself
- Learn how to recognize signs of violent behavior
- Learn Protective and preventative safety measures
If you See Something - Say Something
- Always be observant
- Be aware of vehicles which are out of place
- Report someone who may be testing Security or "scoping" a place out
- Take threats seriously (verbal, written, phoned)
Attend a Class or Presentation
Learn More by attending one of our presentations. We schedule events which are open to the public and also presentations to private businesses/organizations. Email us, or click on the link below to request information or to schedule a presentation
Request free training